27.3.06

Let Us Begin the Games

After much harrassing of the people in San Marcos, TX about the status of my application (which, by the way, apparently arrived much later than the nice mailman assured me it would), I have finally received word that my packet, in its entirety, has arrived SAFE and SOUND and I have been accpeted.

WHEW! I was worried for about a nano-second about that one-- not for getting in but for the U.S. Postal Service employees, God rest their souls, losing yet another one of my mailings of utmost importance. I equate using the mail service for important documents with the decision as to whether one should cram every last belonging into a carry-on or risk checking one's luggage. Anyone who has actually gone through the loss of mail and/or luggage will, I hope, understand the anxiety assigned to both.

Anyways, now begins the fun part. Making peace with the sure idiocy of the Spainish Consulate, I have decided to forego the VISA and instead remain in the greater European area* for no more than 90 days . . . we're going with 89. ding-ding.

I have purchased my tickets to Dublin, leaving from the Chicago O'Hare International Airport (lovely place, I might add) on 5 June 2006 at 7:25 ish. I arrive in Dublin at 8:40 am on 6 June. Oddly enough, I think the information tab said that they would not be serving food which is both a relief and a disappointment. I paid good money for that crappy ham sandwich and cheese of which I will only eat the cheese b/c (oops!) you keep on forgetting that I requested a vegetarian meal. What? Oh sorry, that was my trip to SWEEEE-DEN. I got confused. But, it is good to know that I am expected to bring my own dinner and breakfast. Note on the times: remember that Dublin is like 6 hours ahead, so the fact that they aren't feeding us really isn't as barbaric as it sounds.

I will stay in Dublin that night (fingers crossed that I can reserve a hostel online) and fly out to Amsterdam the next morning, where I will meet up with my long lost roommate, Jewel. I fear that I have not planned past this. I DO know that I have to been in Madrid on 19 June AND that I have an invite to Frankfurt/Koln Germany the week prior to the 19th.

I have made a list of everything that I need to purchase before departure. It includes (as it continues to grow and get edited)

1. Hiking backpack
2. miniature everything (I've got the toothpaste and shamp/condt covered)
3. digital camera (any advice about a reasonable one is appreciated, I haven't begun shopping)
4. comfortable, yet non-tennis or tennis-like shoes to wear with #5
5. several summery skirts and longer shorts/long khaki capris
6. a few blouses
7. SUNSCREEN, SUNCREEN, SUNSCREEN (actually contemplating taking several huge bottles)
8. new sunglasses
9. a good book

I think that might be it for now. Any input?

I have also compiled a list of things that I have to sell. It is a bit longer and is not as fun, so no need to enumerate it here. I cleaned out the entire apartment on Friday and have most everything set aside for a garage sale that will (hopefully) come together with a few other people in about 3 weeks. David has mentioned selling all his Christmas Villages in preparation for his potential big move north!

Know anyone that wants a car? PLEASE TELL THEM: I've got one--white '95 pontiac sunfire 122.222 miles ($2,300 obo)

Well, enough exciting news about the future, now I must carry on with my less blog-worthy (though still somewhat amusing) present. Task? Prepare for my presentation tomorrow in my Independent Study.

Waiting for the blissful day of May 6th!!! =)

*The receptionist at the Spanish Consulate informed me, oh, I don't know FOUR TIMES, that Spain is a part of Europe-- no shit Sherlock! The conversation really was ridiculous and, if you are struggling for half an hour's amusement, I would definitely recommend you checking out. Make sure you call the Consulate in New Orleans. I fear if you call any of the others they might actually be helpful, which would be a shame since you would miss out on experiencing wanting to maul someone through the phone lines. Here is a brief transcription from memory:

Lady: asdljljflkajsfklajsdfkl (whole bunch of unintelligible crazy stuff in Spanish)
Me: Yes, um, I need to get a student Visa to Spain
Lady: I've got another call, you'll have to wait.

waiting approx. 5 mins.

Lady: What was your problem? Didn't you read the stuff online.
Me: Well,
Lady: All the information is there
Me: Yes, but I have a question (hoping that she will allow me to continue).
Lady: What question it is all on the website.
Me: Yes, well, I plan to be in Europe for about a month before flying into Spain for my study aborad
LAdy: Well, Spain is in Europe, lady (1). I think you're misinformed because Spain is in Europe (2). Spain has always been in Europe (3).
Me: Yes, I understand that, but I will not be in Spain until June. Before that I will be outside of Spain but still in Europe.
Lady: Man, Spain is in Europe, man.
Me: Yes, thank you.
Lady: You need to get your information together and read the website.
Me: Yes, thank you.

--I'll stop here.