16.10.06

Pictures from Beijing, Part Uno

Despite the fact that my "decent" camera batteries ran out early into our Beijing trip, I still managed to take quite a few pictures. (I say decent because I purchased batteries off the street that were probably recylced and each set lasted for an average of 5 photos. Grand bummer. I learned a lesson about street vendors!! haha)

This first photo is from Day One--we visited the Summer Palace. Visiting it was quite the undertaking. There are several different entrance gates and we were trying to meet up with some people at a certain gate . . . I think we ended up taking a couple different buses. But, we finally got there and had a great time walking around the expansive grounds. Below you can see an old man writing calligraphy on the sidewalk with a sponge brush. His paint? Yes, that's right-- WATER!! Pretty cool, eh?


This is the, creatively named, Seventeen-Arch Bridge at the Summer Palace. I didn't actually count to make sure that it has seventeen arches, but I trust that it does. You can rent boats to paddle around the lake that you see!

Again at the Summer Palace. This is one of the many temples. You can access it by going to the Long Corridor and then taking a left at some point. After entering this section, you have several climbs and several different temples. Also, there are several nice trails to walk around.