27.7.06

Bogus

I´m really a bogus blogger. I had intended to back write for all the time that I was in Germany, but I just never really get around to it. I guess that it doesn´t help that my computer time is rather limited (unless I want to pay for usage, which I don´t, by the way... internet cafés scare me AND they´re hot... think 30 computers in a room w/o air conditioning when it is 43 degrees outside... AND that´s Celsius just in case you were thinking that´s not hot).

So, long story short, I´m scrapping the idea of telling you guys about Germany. Let´s move on to Spain already. Salamanca is pretty cool. I´ve been here a while and I guess it feels somewhat homey. I say somewhat b/c there are an awful lot of tourists here all the time and I feel relatively permanent compared to them. But I wouldn´t want to live here. It´s beautiful, but not my cup-o-tea. It´s just too hot. I think that pretty much boils it down. I used to think that I didn´t really like air conditioning. That was before Spain. I swear the sun has extra powers here or something. I have been quite diligent in my sunscreen application, but even the sunscreen can´t keep out the heat. I´ve become a smelly European. Water costs more here, so we are encouraged to wear clothes until, "they are dirty." Which I would say takes about 15 minutes upon leaving the house, but I usually wear an outfit twice (after a few days to air it out, of course). The exception: my workout clothes. I once wore those for a whole week and I couldn´t even stand the smell of myself.

Enough about that. Here´s a much anticipated picture of Salamanca´s Plaza Mayor at night. You can see the "reloj" which is the meeting place for everyone meeting for anything. The whole plaza is enclosed with walls like the one in the pic. Nice place to sit and chat. When I first got here, I worried about the sanitariness of sitting on the ground. Much to my relief, I woke up early one day and saw them not only scrubbing the ground with a scrub-brush machine (it´s rideable) but also with a water-sprayer machine followed by a squeege-machine. AND they do it every morning for all of the streets. So that´s good. Without further ado:


OKAY, SO IT STILL WON´T LOAD (I´ve tried 5 times on 3 separate occasions). I will try loading it to facebook and then accessing it that way. No promises.

Today I had my final in my grammar class. Friday is the last day of classes. Tuesday (I think) I take another language level placement test and Wednesday start the last section of classes. I haven´t decided what classes I will take for electives yet, but that will come. My translation class has been the best out of the three I´m taking. We just finished an excerpt from the all-interesting movie, The Big Lebowski. Obviously, my teacher has a sense of humor. He also has a nice smile and likes to tell us colloquialism that we should use "con cuidado". I´ll let you guess what that´s about.

Until later...