18.3.07

A Mighty Wind

A couple of weeks ago (March 4th), a huge storm blew through town. The Sunday started off rather normal with fairly mild temperatures, but by 2 pm it was already getting cold and the wind was picking up. It was snow-icing by early evening and the wind became so strong that Neal and I had to turn on the subtitles to an episode of THE OFFICE that we were trying to enjoy. By morning, the destruction was rather incredible:

(remnants of a banner)

There were rumors of broken windows as well. I didn't see any for myself, but I can't say that I am surprised. When the wind gets a-blowing, I feel like I live in a house with cellophane panes. The wind was still quite strong--47 mph at 5 am Monday morning. No clue about later on in the day when I ventured down to the beach. I did return thoroughly frozen and wind-burned. I had to break down and purchase some chapstick a couple of days later.

(beach area. note green "windblock" fence in background)

(pier...decided NOT to walk out there)